Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Walk Across America: Preparation Stage?

Well, I'm losing my temporary home as of Friday. I knew it was likely going to be temporary going in, but I'd hoped to be able to have a job before it happened.
This being the case, however, may be just another nudge in the direction I've wanted to go from the start: The Walk Across America.
If it starts, it will start on the east coast of North Carolina (gets out compass??) and will follow major highways, though not, of course Interstates (no pedestrians!).
But before I start, I could use a few things:
1. Cell phone with Internet access. Preferably Verizon, due to its coverage.
2. Foam Mattress.
3. Cash enough to stay in a motel when appropriate campsites can't be found.
4. A water purifier.
5. A writing job while I'm walking would be nice. Doesn't have to pay much but it should be consistent.
6. A banner to put on my pack that says Hiking With Diabetes: Walk Across America, or something to that effect.
7. Business cards to hand out to media.
8. A couple of T-shirts with Hiking with Diabetes on one side, and Walk Across America on the other.
9. Cash for emergencies.
What I'll likely do is try to find temporary jobs at the various towns and cities I come across.
This is by no means set in stone, yet I, who has rarely believed in fate, keep feeling that tug. I don't intend to take as much stuff with me as I did during the Appalachian Trail, just a couple of days worth of food and water. Primarily vegetables, I think.
I intend to get a box at one of the UPS Stores. From what I understand, they forward to other UPS Stores. I'll have to verify that.
And of course, I could use maps. I intend to map it out over the computer from the coast back to Raleigh, then spend a few days in Raleigh, hopefully working, then plotting the next stage.
Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Contact me on my cell.. I recieved some mail you might need today.

    ReplyDelete