Saturday, May 1, 2010

Appalachian Trail: Day 7 - Rest, Relaxation, and Blogs

This will be a short blog, I'm afraid. This day I really didn't do anything except write other blogs, drink soda, try to eat (with mild success), and most of all - rest.
I took a closer look at the damage the previous days had done. I have scratches all over my legs, a bruise on my right hand, source unknown.
The off and on numbness continues, and is causing me to rethink how long I can stand out here. If it does not fade, the trip may have to be cut short.
However, I am still interested in doing the whole trip across America at some point, and with that in mind, here are a few things I could use, if not immediately, then down the road. These are things that are too expensive for my limited budget to afford. Don't forget cash donations through my PayPal account are always welcome too.
1. A Water Purification Kit. It's not all safe and I've been lucky so far. Bottled water isn't necessarily available even should I just walk the roads across America.
2. Camping utensils. Such as a small pot to boil water in.
3. A Portable Clothes Washer. I've seen them advertised. It's a sealable unit where you put in a small amount of clothes, detergent, water and then turn over and over to get the clothes clean.
4. Clothes. Seriously. I have one pair of pants and two shirts, 3 pairs of underwear and 3 pairs of socks. I lost the other pair of pants before even making it to the Trail. I could use two sturdy pairs of jeans (size probably 40-42, length 30), and at least one more sturdy shirt, like the lumberjacks wear.
5. A 'mattress', consisting of a foam rubber mat. I cannot emphasize how much more comfortable this will make me, and take some of the pressure off my shoulder.
6. A Smartphone with internet access. Phone for emergencies, like I had experienced before. The internet because out in the wild, there is no internet access unless you go into town, and in this case, you have to stay in a motel to get it.
7. A writing job. If you've enjoyed what you've read so far, and have an opening that involves writing, leave a comment and we can talk.
As of this writing, the plan is to go into town in the morning, get a PO Box, send the blog pages I've hand-written out to a friend of mine, who might be able to enter them, and send me my last paycheck.

No comments:

Post a Comment