Saturday, May 1, 2010

Appalachian Trail: Day 6 - Wiping up and Catching Flies

The night passed very uncomfortably, but when morning hit, the rain was gone except for the drips coming from the trees around me.
I had a time drying up the tent, as a big puddle had appeared in the middle of the floor. I used my camper's towel as a chamois, and it did the job.
After all that I spent time during the morning putting up the Flycatcher. It was like a second skin for the tent, going over the tent as a whole, covering the open part in the back. I staked the tent down for the first time in my travels, and stretched the flycatcher over. It had a canopy that was supposed to cover the front of the tent, but I could never figure out quite how that worked.
Yet in the end everything worked out okay and the back of the tent was secure. There was a danger, however, of lack of ventilation inside the tent, dangerous at times. Thankfully there were flaps on 3 sides that I could open to prevent Carbon Dioxide poisoning. They could be adjusted to allow air flow and limit the amount of rain that could get in.
My appetite seemed to return during my day of doing nothing. I say nothing because I kept myself inside the tent. But really I was working on this blog, taking sips of soda and just generally relaxed. The whole appetite thing was funny, though. It was like my body objected to the amount of exercise I was getting by telling me 'No food for you until you stop this silly exercise.' It certainly showed me who was boss.
The night was spent searching for a comfortable place to sleep within the tent.It wasn't as cold as other nights, yet the sleeping bag not going completely around me made things uncomfortable. Something was always exposed.
Something else was starting to bother me. I had taken stock of how I felt, what shape things were in, and generally how I felt. I know that I had lost weight in the 5 days I had spent out there so far. From what I could tell, the fat came off my chest and legs. Very little came off the belly. My legs felt like tight muscle surrounded by flaps of skin.
I tend to sleep on my right side, occasionally shifting to my left when things got uncomfortable. But the way I was positioned, I could tell I was putting to much pressure on my right shoulder. I tried my best to get off it, but that meant not sleeping.
But what worried me the most at that time was the numbness I was feeling in my hands. It seemed to affect my left hand more than my right, and it was worrisome. Every now and then, one of the fingers on either hand would completely lock up. I thought at first they were cramps, but soon found I could not move the fingers at all during the time the cramp lasted. I hoped time would heal that wound.

No comments:

Post a Comment